Port Huron, MI
Plastic Automotive Supplier
2nd shift: 2:30pm - 11:15pm, Average 10 Hour Shift
Salary up to: Up to $60K/yr, OT paid after 45 hours
Supervise all personnel directly related to the operation of a normal shift, approx. 140 employees/shift
Plastic injection molding background preferred, but not required
- Provide a safe, healthy, congenial working environment for all employees.
- Respond to the questions and needs of employees.
- Enforce all policies, rules, and regulations established by the company.
- Assign machines for operators to run prior to the start of each shift.
- Schedule and assign employees to specific tasks based upon amount of employees’ time available and work to be done.
- Accept the responsibility for being the main channel of communication between management and employees.
- Provide for the training of all employees.
- Fill out periodic employee evaluation and progress reports.
- Maintain an acceptable level of part quality based on instructions from Quality Control Department.
- Respond to complaints of substandard quality parts.
- Make necessary corrections to processing conditions to correct for part defects.
- Review shop floor prior to start of your shift.
- Schedule periodic spot checks as needed to ensure all production is at an acceptable quality level.
- Make suggestions to improve on part quality or on quality consistency.
- Notify quality control manager of any problems which can be corrected.
- Make sure all machine conditions are recorded and reacted to for unstable and out of control conditions.
- Ensure all process changes are documented.
- Participate in LPA's
- Maintain an efficient level of productivity using established standards as guides.
- Make adjustments to cycles and conditions to maintain job standards, using job set up sheet.
- Notify the Sr. Process Engineer or General Manager of any problems which cannot be corrected.
- Fill out daily production sheet reports to recap events during the shift and account for machine downtime and/or jobs running below standard, verify production counts & input all information on production sheet.
- Submit the required amount of cost savings ideas per year.
- Ensure Process Engineers are meeting their cost save goals
- Safely, neatly, and efficiently change molds and start same up for production using guidelines of:
- Mold parts according to Q.C. department standards using controlled cycle sheet.
- Maintain an efficient level of productivity using established production standards as guides.
- Start up presses after mold changes, cycle interruptions or production, start up shift with same guidelines.
- Be capable of starting up or shutting down the plant properly.
- Properly clean and lubricate molds.
- Record cycles accurately.
- Perform minor machine troubleshooting and repairs.
- Schedule and assist in cleaning machinery and equipment.
- Do basic quality checks in the absence of the shift inspector.
- Assume some or all responsibilities of the Lead Technician in their absence or when required when the work load necessitates it.
- Read articles pertaining to supervision and injection molding to help improve skills in these areas.
- Write up work order on all machinery needing repair and on all maintenance required to the premises.
- It is the responsibility of all employees to take corrective action for all nonconforming items identified by the employee.
- Perform other duties as required for the safe efficient operation of the plant.
- Maintain overall Shop 5S and an 85% minimum 6S score in assigned area.
- Participate in Kaizen with CI Manager. Help implement improvements.
- Supervisory Responsibilities- Is responsible for the overall direction, coordination, and evaluation of this unit. Also directly supervises non-supervisory employees. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include assisting in interviewing, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems. In the event that this position becomes vacant, the Manufacturing Manager will resume responsibilities.
- Environmental Responsibilities- Monitors operator compliance with safety and other regulations. May be required to function as a member of Environmental Response Action Team, Fire brigade, and First Responder with specialized training as listed in the tracking system. Provides OJT to personnel where appropriate.
- Log out/tag out training
- Capable of using quality control inspection tools or have capability to learn the same.
- Able to diagnose problems and follow through with suggested remedies for correction.
Capable of lifting fifty (50) pounds from floor level to height of approximately four (4) feet and approximately forty (40) times per shift